A new way to succeed. A career-focused master’s in computer science with software engineering for £6,000
- 180 credits •
- 2 years part-time •
- £6,000 total fees
- 100% online master's within 24 months
- Study anytime, anywhere, on any device
- Degree not required for admission, work experience considered
- Earn while you learn
- £6,000 total fees, option to pay per module
- Full academic support
- Top 10 in the UK for ‘Teaching Quality’*
*The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide, 2024
Software engineering skills are in high demand
A recent study by O2 suggests that in the UK alone, organisations have needed to fill more than 750,000 new digital jobs by 2020 and train almost 2.3 million people to meet the demand for digital skills.
The IT skills gap is global and is vast, with demand far outstripping supply of digital skills. Software engineers and web developers in particular are key areas where employers are desperately looking to fill vacant positions.
This presents an exciting opportunity for ambitious individuals who are looking to achieve career success in this high-demand and well-paid profession.
A smarter way to get a software engineering masters
The 100% online MSc Computer Science with Software Engineering is designed to provide a new way for busy working professionals to gain a qualification in this high-demand and lucrative field. It is tailored for online learners and can be studied anytime, anywhere and on a wide range of devices, enabling you to continue working full-time and earn while you learn.
Designed for online learners from a range of backgrounds
This master’s degree is designed both for ambitious individuals who are not from a computer science or software engineering background and want to launch a career in this field, as well as for individuals who currently work in the sector and are looking to move their career through the gears with a high-quality qualification.
What you will learn
The MSc Computer Science with Software Engineering degree explores the practical science of computer programming and software systems with a commercial focus. It covers mobile application development and concepts in data communications. The programme teaches advanced software development and programming skills and expertise, preparing you for challenging and fast-paced software development employment.
Core modules cover fundamental elements of software engineering and computer science, including:
- Software development for the web
- Mobile application development
- Secure software development
- Systems engineering
- Data structures and algorithms
- Virtual and cloud computing
This postgraduate course has a ‘real-world’ focus. It develops an understanding of underlying principles but also engages you in the practical skills and application of programme design, modern web technologies, network design, implementation and trouble-shooting.
The programme also includes a 45-credit research project, where you will work on a specialist topic with relevant supervision.
Our online learning expertise
More than half of our students study part-time and as a result the University has considerable expertise in flexible study. This completely online MSc Computer Science with Software Engineering has a flexible design enabling you to study at your own pace, on your own terms. You will learn alongside other postgraduate students in our tailored online learning environment, sharing your own practical experience in discussion groups to boost your learning whilst interacting with peers.
With six start dates per year, you’re not restricted to the traditional academic year and can start within weeks. There are flexible payment options and, for those that are eligible, there are postgraduate government loans to cover the full programme cost.
Career-led software engineering master’s, tailored for the real world
This MSc Computer Science with Software Engineering is industry-led and career-focused, reflecting the culture and capabilities of Wrexham University and of North Wales Management School more specifically. Our deep relationships with major employers have fed into the programme content and have helped shape a master’s programme that is built for career enhancement across a wide range of sectors in the modern-day work environment. It is this approach that has seen us ranked in the top 10 UK universities for employability for part-time students in employment.
Entry requirements for home and international students
- You should have or be about to complete an undergraduate degree in a programme cognate with Computer Science with a minimum grade of 2:2 (or equivalent qualification). We will also accept master’s degrees or equivalent.
- We may also accept applicants who do not have these qualifications based on relevant work experience.
- If you earned your undergraduate degree outside the UK, you should check that it is equivalent to a 2:2.
English language requirements
- If English isn’t your first language, you may need to provide evidence of your English language ability. We accept:
- IELTS at 6.0 overall with no individual component below 5.5
- TOEFL overall minimum 60
- PTE Academic overall minimum 50
- Cambridge (CAE & CPE) overall 169 with minimum scores of 162 in Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking.
- A degree qualification taught in English
- Evidence that you work in a company where English is the first language
- High school qualifications in English
- Completion of a Wrexham online test or Duolingo test
North Wales Management School online MScs are designed to be affordable, saving time and money. Tuition fees are calculated per eight-week module. You can enrol in and pay for each consecutive session as your studies progress. Payment is accepted through the online student portal and must meet the payment deadline.
Critical Research for Postgraduate Study
Software Development for the Web
Mobile Application Development
Secure Software Development
Data Structures and Algorithms
Virtual and Cloud Computing
Security and Risk Management in a Digital Environment
Applied Research Methods
Choose North Wales Management School
- Top 10 university in UK for employability for UK-based graduates from part-time first degrees (Source: HESA PI E1b 2015/16)
- 99.1% were in employment or further study 6 months after completing their studies (Source: HESA PI E1b 2015/16)
- QAA-assured, industry-led programmes, incorporating deep knowledge and expertise of employer partners and tailored to the needs of the modern job market
- Close links with leading local and regional employers, including Toyota, Kellogg’s, Brother Industries and the BBC
- Expertise in flexible learning – more than half of our students study part-time
- Dedicated Student Success team supports you every step of the way – from enrolment right through to graduation
- International university of many cultures
- Programmes suitable for a wide range of academic backgrounds
- 10% fee reduction for graduates of Wrexham University